Monday, May 11, 2009

Confused By The Passing Piranhas

Through one of the blogs I'm addicted to (Fashion Squad) I learned of BikBok. I'm head over heels. Two probs: no stores in the states, not available to order online. Whomp Whomp....

Regardless, I spent a chunk of today browsing through foreign treasures and wishing I lived in Latvia.... maybe. Here is a sneak peek into the neon, sequined, shredded world of BikBok. Enjoy!

I love this frilly bolero. It looks like something Evita would wear or a female bull fighter. Keeping with a similar feel, pair this with high wasted black jeans or leggings, black flats, and a red accessory would be pretty killer.
I've unintentionally become inexplicably drawn to "old man" sweaters aka pretty much anything your grandpa would wear. I'm even currently wearing my Mr. Rogers sweater. I just love the comfortable mod look an over sized knitted sweater can give an outfit. The sweater above and the button up sweater below both have that feel to them. I dig the over sized features too.

Lets all just curl up in our old man sweaters and take a nap.

I do have to admit that in all that is good about BikBok, there are some negatives. Their selection of tops and shirts isn't the greatest. Most of the items look like something that can be found at American Apparel and do not give off a special feel about them like the other items do. I did find this graphic tee that I liked:

I love pretty much anything with Kate Moss on it.

I really enjoy black items with texture to them. It is hard to tell in this picture, but there are saying layers on the top of the dress and I like the explosion of the graphic on the skirt portion. This dress can be played down really well with sneaks, flats, or gladiator sandals. Not every dress has to be glamified.

But this one sure is!

Can you imagine walking around in an outfit entirely of sparkling sequins? I would feel like a disco ball. It would be impossible not to be the center of attention in a dress that might blind people if you're standing at the right angle. Killer.

I've been playing with the idea of drop crotch/harem pants lately. I def like jersey drop crotch, but I'm still not sure about denim versions. I do quite like these loose harem pants so maybe the idea of a denim is slowly growing on me? I like the idea of these paired with a whit tank top, gold accessories, maybe even gold heels or woven wedges and the following jacket:I'm crazy about this jacket! The colors, the pattern, the style, I love it all! Now I only need to make friends with someone in Norway who can send me this.... Faye???

Grunge twist on a typical sweatshirt. It reminds me of something Rick Owens is doing with pretty much everything from pants to tshirts to sweaters. Ratty holes are in and I've been ahead of this trend for a while now. I don't own a pair of jeans or a hoodie without snags, tears, and holes emblazoned somewhere (this isn't by choice but by coincidence. I refuse to buy new jeans b/c pants are expensive and hard to find. All my hoodies were chewed on by my rat back at school... that's another story...).I like the idea of ragged jeans, but the execution can be iffy. Cutting jeans up is an easy DIY project, but making it look natural and worn is another problem. Through experience I have found that if you cut your jeans yourself, wash them a few times afterwards and leave them crumpled in a pile, don't fold them, you'll get the desired look. Follow these rules and you'll have that awesome dirty look to yourself. Am I the only one who thinks this is a good thing?

Check out BikBok.com

No comments:

Post a Comment